Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. -Confucius

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The State of Things

I had intended to write today's entry about poetry.  However, in light of recent events, I've decided it is more appropriate to write about what happened in Tucson yesterday.

The shooting was a horrible event that has left many hearts broken and lives shattered.  A judge was senselessly murdered, a Congresswoman lies in a hospital bed in critical condition, a nine year old girl was taken from this world too quickly, as were several others.  More than a handful of people were injured yesterday.  

Rather than restating all the facts, which you can find anywhere, I think it better to discuss things on a more intimate level.

I don't know if we'll ever really know Loughner's motivations.  From the information available, it seems he was a paranoid and deeply troubled man.  His delusions and actions have affected the lives of countless people.

 When I woke this morning, I read that Westboro Baptist Church is planning on picketing the funerals of the shooting victims.  As if there isn't enough heartache, cruel and heartless people are using the guise of religion and faith in an attempt to spread the sickness of their hate.  I'm disgusted.  From what I've seen through social networking sites, I am not the only one.

Today, I feel like my words are clumsy and awkward.  I am not as eloquent as I'd like to be in regards to this situation.  Although I feel verbally inelegant, I feel like it is important to write what I'm trying to communicate.

I don't have the words to adequately describe my thoughts and feelings on the events that occurred yesterday or the events (positive and negative) that have or will follow.  My heart aches for everyone who lost someone yesterday.  My heart aches for the rest of us, as I feel we've all lost something due to the shooting.

I feel that it is important to stop the spread of hate.  I believe the way to do this is to spread love.  Not just for those immediately affected by yesterday's violent events, but for and to everyone, today, tomorrow and always.  Sharing love is not just telling your friends and family how you feel, even the smallest things can create a spark that spreads like wildfire.  Smile at someone, give a compliment, hold the door for someone.  Not because they need you to; but because you want to. 

Protest the hate-mongering.  Share love.


1 comment:

  1. Well said. The politics in this country has hit a fever pitch and gone overboard. We need to back away quickly from the buzzwords and the incitement and chill....before someone else, who thinks they are doing something some guy on TV or radio told them to goes and does this again. We, and I am talking about everyone from the left, right and center, needs to calm our bases, relax and get back to making this country great. Not making it a literal battleground.

    ReplyDelete