Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. -Confucius

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Name is Prairie, and I'm a Spoonie.

I feel terrible.  I've had a lot going on and haven't come to write anything in more than a month.  A month!  

I suffer from chronic pain.  As much as I try my best to maintain a positive attitude and stay in control of my pain, lately, my pain has been very severe and it's been a struggle to stay positive and optimistic.  I have fibromyalgia (FM).  I'm going to skip the long explanation about FM.  It's an illness that causes fatigue, sleep disturbances and widespread chronic pain.  If you're interested in learning more about it, please visit the National Fibromyalgia Association.

There are many "invisible" illnesses out there.  FM is just one of them.  A lot of people with FM, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) lupus and other illnesses suffer in silence.  Getting an accurate diagnosis, and getting adequate and appropriate relief are often challenging tasks.  But these challenges aren't the reason for this post.  I'm writing about chronic pain and illness because it has an impact on the lives of it's sufferers.  Invisible illnesses are often hard for people without them to understand.  People will say things like "but you don't look sick," (more on that one in a moment), "it's all in your head," or "why can't you just snap out of it?"  Believe me.  If I could just snap out of it, I would!  When sympathy, understanding and support are what is needed most, not all chronic illness sufferers will have those needs met.  I feel very blessed to have a helpful, understanding, loving and supportive husband.  I'm also thankful for my friends who are always ready to send love and well-wishes when times are tough.

Around the time of my diagnosis, a friend of mine with lupus shared The Spoon Theory and the website But You Don't Look Sick with me.  While reading the Spoon Theory, I felt like I was reading something that I could have written myself.  It is a very accurate description of what life is like for me and a lot of others with chronic illnesses.  A lot of us refer to ourselves as "spoonies."  The analogy is so perfect, it just fits.  Sharing the Spoon Theory with family and friends has been beneficial to me.  It helps explain a lot of the things I experience, and (I hope) helps my friends and family further understand my illness.

There are a great number of support groups, message boards, resources and coping techniques available.  I want to urge anyone suffering from chronic illness to seek out the resources available.  The support of friends and family means a great deal, but being able to communicate with others in a similar position or situation is also very valuable.  It's a great way to learn how others manage their lives, a place to learn coping techniques, discuss treatment options and also a wonderful place to vent/whine/complain.  Who better to whine to than people who have been there?  

If you are living with chronic illness, know that support is out there.  Find a support group, local or web-based, to take part in.  Knowing you're not alone can go a long way when it comes to seeking relief.  When in need, lean on those who support you.  Don't be afraid to ask for help!

I'm not far into my journey of living with chronic pain.  I'm still seeking answers and adequate treatment.  But I trust my abilities, I have faith in my doctors, and I have found wonderful support by both my loved ones and support groups.

Here are some links to reference and support pages for those of us with an invisible illness and our loved ones.


If you're a chronic pain/invisible illness sufferer and want to share some links, please do so in the comments!  If you need support, or know someone who does, please peruse the links I've shared. 



No comments:

Post a Comment